MN Adult & Teen Challenge & County Resources
Location: Virtual Zoom Meeting
Date: August 12, 2021 9:30 – 10:45 a.m.


FISH welcomed 37 attendees to the August meeting. FISH partners and affiliates filled 16 needs in July with a value of $8,101. FISH stories were shared.

Peg Case and Sandy Mader, Case Managers with the Scott County Chemical Dependency Unit, spoke first. The State of Minnesota is no longer doing Rule 25 Assessments – the county does them. This means the clients get services faster. If clients have insurance, they can choose their treatment program. If there is no insurance, there is a Behavioral Health Fund that clients can access if they are eligible. The county is considered to be a provider and does the comprehensive assessment and treatment coordination. Clients have county employees work with them.


Scott County used to have only one outpatient facility but now with online services clients can access services no matter where they live. Some provide medications to assist with recovery and some do not. Medicare doesn’t provide many services for recovery, but the Behavioral Health Fund is also for underinsured. However, social security and other income often puts clients over income eligibility.


Many addicts use alone and are in danger of overdosing. A brochure is attached which has information on the Harm Reduction Hotline.


Peg explained the resource list, which is attached, which includes addiction clinics, some of which provide medications to help recovery and some do not. Alcoholics Anonymous is a wonderful resource and the resource list has a link to meetings everywhere if clients are on vacation. Billy Wermerskirchen is the Shakopee contact for AA and his contact information is included.


For those who have lost loved ones due to overdose or addiction, is an excellent resource.


Dan Schaeppi, Regional Outreach Manager for the Metro area Mn Adult and Teen Challenge, was the next speaker. He provided a detailed PowerPoint, which is attached. Teen Challenge was established in New York City in 1953 and came to Minnesota as Mn Adult and Teen Challenge in 1983. They established the first residential treatment center in Minneapolis in 1993. They now serve over 3,000 clients at many locations in the state. Their newest facility, Freedom Manor, opened in July and is a long-term women’s licensed treatment center. Mn Adult and Teen Challenge is one of the top treatment centers in the state and one of the top workplaces. For clients involved with Child Protective Services, there is also a program called My New Life for women only. They are focusing on treatment of women this year.


Mn Adult and Teen Challenge also provides Direct Access and have the ability to do assessments and get people in right away if they come before 9:00 am. Only 4% of their clients are teens. They are education and faith-based. There is a telehealth option with programs both day and evening. If clients are served under a state program, they can’t offer the faith component. They have ambulatory withdrawal services called Kai Shin. Their program is typically 12 months with four levels: Committing, Breaking Through, Practicing a New Way of Life and A Solid Foundation for the Future. They offer a long-term recovery program with personal study topics.


MN Adult & Teen Challenge & County Resources Location: Virtual Zoom Meeting Date: August 12, 2021 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. Their success rate is very good with 67% reporting no use after six months and 13% reporting one lapse during that time for a total success rate of 80%. Clients can stay for up to three years if needed. They have a lakeside facility for 14-18 year-olds with four levels of care and online education. They can serve a maximum of 36 teens but because of staffing only have 30 right now. There was a question about serving non-English speaking clients. If insurance covers interpreters they can provide services but they have no employees who speak other languages. Much more information is on the attached PowerPoint. Announcements: • Next month’s FISH meeting is September 9 featuring Southern Valley Alliance via Zoom on September 9 at 9:30 a.m. • 2nd Harvest food distribution on the second Thursday of each month at Friendship Church in Prior Lake – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. No eligibility requirements, everyone gets two boxes of groceries and only need an

CPS Program Track Flyer – June 2021

Adult & Teen Challenge FISH presentation,    

Direct Access Memo August 12 FISH Presentation,    

My New Life flyer

Scott County SUD Resource LIst August 12 FISH Presentation

Sign Up for Updates

Sign up to receive news, fish stories, and details about upcoming events.


1615 Weston Court
Shakopee, MN